Cancer and your immune system
Your immune system is normally involved in detecting and eliminating
abnormal cells, such as cancer cells. In some people with metastatic
non-small cell lung cancer, the cancer can hide from immune system
detection and elimination.
TECENTRIQ can cause serious side effects, including:
- Lung problems (pneumonitis)–signs and symptoms may include new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain
- Liver problems (hepatitis)–signs and symptoms of hepatitis may include yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes, severe nausea or vomiting, pain on the right side of your stomach area (abdomen), drowsiness, dark urine (tea colored), bleeding or bruising more easily than normal, and feeling less hungry than usual
- Intestinal problems (colitis)–signs and symptoms of colitis may include diarrhea (loose stools) or more bowel movements than usual, blood or mucous in your stools or dark, tarry, sticky stools, and severe stomach area (abdomen) pain or tenderness
- Hormone gland problems (especially the thyroid, adrenal glands, pancreas, and pituitary)–signs and symptoms that your hormone glands are not working properly may include headaches that will not go away or unusual headaches, extreme tiredness, weight gain or weight loss, dizziness or fainting, feeling more hungry or thirsty than usual, hair loss, changes in mood or behavior (such as decreased sex drive, irritability, or forgetfulness), feeling cold, constipation, your voice gets deeper, urinating more often than usual, nausea or vomiting, and stomach area (abdomen) pain
- Problems in other organs–signs and symptoms may include severe muscle weakness, numbness or tingling in hands or feet, confusion, blurry vision, double vision, or other vision problems, changes in mood or behavior, extreme sensitivity to light, neck stiffness, eye pain or redness, skin blisters or peeling, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, or swelling of the ankles
- Severe infections–signs and symptoms of infection may include fever, cough, flu-like symptoms, pain when urinating, and frequent urination or back pain
- Severe infusion reactions–signs and symptoms of infusion reactions may include chills or shaking, itching or rash, flushing, shortness of breath or wheezing, swelling of your face or lips, dizziness, fever, feeling like passing out, and back or neck pain
TECENTRIQ is designed to work with the immune system
TECENTRIQ is a cancer immunotherapy that can help to reactivate the immune system so that it can recognize cancer in the body.
TECENTRIQ can cause your immune system to attack normal organs and
tissues and can affect the way they work. These problems can sometimes
become serious or life threatening and can lead to death.
Call or see your healthcare provider right away if you experience any symptoms listed here or those symptoms get worse.
A closer look at how TECENTRIQ may work in your body
Committed to cancer treatment
Genentech is committed to discovering new and different approaches
to treat cancer. Watch some of the Genentech scientists behind the
development of TECENTRIQ discuss their commitment to changing how
cancer is treated.